How to get a Temporary Crackers Licence in India

Name should not be empty

The procedure is same across India as it is in accordance with the Explosive Rules 2008 under the Explosives Act.

The Explosive Rules 2008 can be downloaded from the link:

(The specifications for conditions for temporary licenses are given in Chapter VII)

Kinds of Licences:

  • Temporary licences
  • Permanent licences

The criteria for availing a temporary licence are:

  • To sell only amorces (this refers to percussion caps for toy pistols) & sparklers up to 100 Kilograms, you do not require a temporary license. However, all conditions/safety measures must be observed as per Explosives Rules-2008
  • To sell mixed crackers (amorces, sparklers & other crackers) upto 100 Kilograms or fireworks of a higher quantity, you must apply for a temporary fireworks license. For selling fireworks up to 600Kg (100 kg of manufactured fireworks of class-7, division-2, subdivision-2 plus 500 kg of Chinese crackers or sparklers), the temporary license is granted by a District Deputy Commissioners of Police concerned.​


Applicants for temporary fireworks licence to manufacture crackers up to 600 Kilograms should either have a ‘pucca shop’ or ‘temporary shed’, meeting the following requirements:

Pucca shop

  • The shop should have a minimum floor area of 9 square meters and a maximum floor area of 25 square meters.
  • The shop to be located on a commercial street or in a commercial shopping centre. This is in sync with Master Plan Delhi-2021.
  • The shop must be located on the ground floor of a building and should not be located in sub-level or basement or mezzanine floor.
  • Upper floor should not be a dwelling unit.
  • The shop should be beyond 15 meters distance from any other shop or premise used for storage of any explosive, inflammable or hazardous material.
  • A minimum of 6 meter wide motorable road is required that excludes physical obstructions such as electric pole, kerb, covered drains, pillars, raised pavements on the site of the premises with entry and exit facing the road.
  • The shop should have no electrical apparatus or battery or oil lamp or similar equipment capable of producing spark or ignition and all electrical wiring in the shop should be fixed and effectively sealed or conducted or mechanically protected. The main switch or circuit breaker should be provided at an immediate accessible position outside the premises.
  • The shop should have an adequate ISI approved firefighting equipment.
  • The shop should have independent entrance and emergency exit from open space.
  • Shop should have doors opening outwards. Alternatively, shop may have rolling shutters but the same must be provided with stoppers, which must be functional.

Temporary sheds

  • The shed should be of non-flammable material. It should be closed and secured so as to prevent unauthorized persons having access into it.
  • The sheds should be at a distance of at least 3mtrs from each other and 50 meters from any protected works.
  • The sheds should not be facing each other.
  • No oil burning lamps, gas lamps or naked lights shall be used in the shed or within the safety distance of the sheds for the purpose of lighting. Any electrical light if used shall be fixed to the wall or ceiling and should not be suspended by flexible wire. Switches should be fixed rigidly near the ceiling and a master switch should be provided for each row of sheds.
  • Display of fireworks shall not be allowed within 50 meters of any sheds.
  • In one cluster not more than 50 shops shall be permitted. 
  • Temporary sheds shall not be permitted in such open space which serves as the only fall back area for nearby residential or commercial areas. The area for temporary sheds should not be close to any busy market. Temporary sheds should be so located that these do not affect circulation of traffic, contingency evacuation including movement of emergency vehicles and smooth movement of pedestrians. Decision on the above shall be on case to case basis depending upon suitability of place from public security and safety point of view.

The Documentation required to be submitted is as follows:

  • Application form
  • Notarized affidavit
  • Site plan of the premises prepared by a registered architect.
  • Four photographs of the premises (5X7 inches) from different directions depicting the clearance from adjoining shops/premises and other shops of similar nature.
  • Proof of ownership/tenancy of the premises.
  • Any other documents as prescribed in the checklist available with the application form.
  • The applicant must be above the age of 18 years.

Safety Measures to be followed:

  • Firework shops were permitted to keep only 100 kg of fireworks
  • 500 kg of Chinese crackers or sparklers on the premises
  • Licensed by the District Magistrate
  • 300 kg of fireworks and 1,200 kg of Chinese crackers or sparklers on the premises of shops
  • Licensed by the Department of Explosive (Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization) under the revised Explosive rules, 2008

What's your reaction?
Helpful - 102
Not helpful - 19
Need more detail - 0
Name should not be empty