Detailed profile of JanaAyukta Dr ST Ramesh
Bachelor of Science, St.Joseph’s College, Bangalore University.
D.Litt from Tumkur University
Date of Birth: 04-07-1951
Work & Professional Experience:
Karnataka Police & Government of India:
Director General & Inspector General of Police, Karnataka State. Jan 2011-till retirement in July 2011.
Joined Indian Police Service in July 1976.
- Superintendent of Police of Gulbarga, Bijapur, Belgaum, Bangalore Districts. Responsible for the District Police Administration, entire gamut of security, safety, crime control, law & order, traffic and personnel matters of at least 1000 police officers in each District, starting from recruitment, training, posting, promotions, etc.
- Central Intelligence Officer, Bangalore in Intelligence Bureau, MHA, GOI. Responsible for the Collection, collation and dissemination of intelligence within Karnataka for Government of India in political, communal, labor, terrorist, extremists and all internal security matters. Eyes and ears of the Government of India.
- Dy.Inspector General of Police, Administration, Karnataka Police. Staff officer to the DG & IG & responsible for Police Administration in the State including personnel matters and confidential branch.
- Dy.Inspector General of Police, Northern Range, Belgaum consisting of the erstwhile Districts of Belgaum, Bijapur and Dharwad. Supervised the work of Superintendents of Police under me. Responsible for the entire gamut of police work in the three districts.
- Dy.Inspector General of Police, Karnataka State Reserve Police. Oversaw the functioning of 10 Battalions (10000 men) of this Para military force of Karnataka in all aspects.
- Director Security & Vigilance, Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation, Bangalore. Managed the Security & Vigilance of this one lakh strong, labor intensive monolithic organization.
- Dy.Inspector General of Police, CID, Bangalore. Supervised the investigation of criminal cases of particularly sensitive nature across the State, entrusted to CID by the Government. Coordinated with CIDs of other States and CBI.
- Inspector General of Police, CID, Forest Cell, Bangalore. Enforced Wild Life Protection Act & Karnataka Forest Act across the State – a niche area of CID. Tackled wild life crime and smuggling of forest produce.
- Inspector General of Police, Police Computer Wing & State Crime Record Bureau, Bangalore. Oversaw the computerization of the Karnataka Police from the scratch in all dimensions viz., hardware, software, networking, training and ensured crime data base of 10 million. Supervised the modernization of Forensic Science Laboratory, Finger Print Bureau and Police Dog Squad.
- Addl.Director General of Police, Police Computer Wing & State Crime Record Bureau, Bangalore. Spearheaded the modernization program for computerization and initiated software development for the entire Karnataka Police. Introduced several e-governance initiatives.
- Addl.Director General of Police, Recruitment & Training, Bangalore. Introduced new initiatives in police training. Gender Sensitization of Police Department and development of ‘work place policy for HIV’ being other initiatives.
- Addl.Director General of Police & Inspector General of Prisons, Karnataka. Introduced several Reforms to humanize Prisons which won acclaim from the Supreme Court and Karnataka High Court, Government and NGOs.
- Addl.Director General of Police, Crime & Technical Services, Bangalore. Streamlined crime investigation across the State, Forensic Science Lab and Finger Print Bureau with focus on Crime scene management.
- Addl.Director General of Police, Recruitment & Training, Bangalore. Introduced several path breaking reforms in police Recruitment & Training.
- Director General of Police (Training) - Coordinated & supervised all police training activities in the State.
- Director General & Inspector General of Police – As head of the Police Force of Karnataka oversaw a wide spectrum of police activities including personnel, crime, law & order, internal security, traffic management & modernization. Co-ordinated with State & Central Governments. Advised Government on all police and security matters.
- Overseas Command Course at Police Staff College, Bramshill, U.K. – October to December 1994. Only Indian among 15 International Participants.
- Attended Atlanta Olympic Games, Atlanta, USA as member Security Team Program, nominated by Government of India – July- August 1996.
- First Asia Cyber Crime Summit at Hong Kong on invitation - Hong Kong University – April 2001.
- Second Asia Cyber Crime Summit at Hong Kong on invitation - Hong Kong University – November 2003.
- Made a presentation at CIVICUS World Assembly, Glasgow UK on Gender Sensitization program of Karnataka Police – Sponsored by UNICEF -June 2006
- Delays in Criminal Justice System in India –comparative study with UK & a few other Countries – Police Staff College, Bramshill, UK – December 94.
- Investigative Powers of Police and Role of Criminal Courts – Karnataka Judicial Academy – October 2009.
- “Reflections on Law Enforcement” – a thesis for which awarded D.Litt by Tumkur University – January 2011.
- Made presentations and contributions in several Seminars and Conferences such as
Commonwealth Human Right Initiative (CHRI)
Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai
Sardar Vallabhai Patel National Police Academy (SVP NPA), Hyderabad
Administrative Reforms Committee (ARC)
Committee on Reforms in Criminal Justice System
National Institute for Public Cooperation & Child Development (NIPCCD), Bangalore
Karnataka Police Academy (KPA), Mysore
- Contribute articles for News Papers, economic and political weekly.
- Organizing Secretary, 46th All India Police Duty Meet, Bangalore, December 2002.
- Architect of First ever “Work Place Policy for HIV/AIDs in Karnataka Police”.
- Innovatively computerized Karnataka Police from grass roots level to Chief Office.
- Provided a human face to Karnataka Prison Department.
- Trail blazing work in controlling wild life crime.
- Innovative, Reform oriented and citizen-centric service delivery during career.
- Adviser, UPSC, New Delhi.
- Chairman, National Road Safety Committee on Enforcement, appointed by Ministry of Transport, Government of India.
Areas of Expertise:
- All aspects of Police work
- Intelligence gathering
- Social legislations
- Security & Vigilance
- Armed police
- Crime branch – CID
- Wild life crime
- Computerization of large Organizations
- Police training
- Gender training
- HIV/AIDs in Police forces
- Prison management
- Technical services used in Investigation
Awards & Honours:
- “Endangered Species Award – 2000” awarded by Wild Life Trust of India, New Delhi.
- President’s Police Medal for Meritorious Service – Independence Day 1995.
- President’s Police Medal for Distinguished Service – Independence Day 2007.
- Tennis Player, represented Karnataka police team against Srilankan Police team at Colombo, Avid cricket buff, Carnatic Music, Reading, Spirituality, wild life , Non alcoholic trustee Alcoholics Anonymous, Member Bangalore Club.