How to get Marriage Certificate or Marriage Registration done in Chennai
Get your questions answered by the experts at I Paid a Bribe
A Marriage Certificate is the proof of registration of a marriage. Marriage Registration is done at the Sub-Registrar's office.
Why do I need marriage certificate?
- The need for a Marriage Certificate arises in case you need to prove that you are legally married to someone and even plays the role of a supporting document to obtain a passport or for changing your maiden name etc.
- Marriage certificate also works as a proof of marriage, social security -particularly among married women and is useful in obtaining visas for spouses to travel together.
- It is helpful in claiming bank deposits or life Insurance benefits when the depositor or the Insurer dies without a nomination or otherwise.
Who can apply for marriage certificate?
The age for registration of marriage has been legally decided as 21 for males and 18 for females.
Documents required for Marriage Certificate
1) Age proof Bride & Bridegroom Age proof: Leaving Certificate/ Passport /Birth Certificate/ Domicile Certificate OR PAN Card.
2) Residential Proof of Bride & Bridegroom: Ration Card /Passport/ Election Card/ Light Bill and Telephone Bill of own name.
3) Witness Proof: - Ration Card/ Passport/ Election Card/ Driving License/ Govt. Identity Card.
4) Wedding Card
5) Rs. 100/- Court Fee Stamp
6) Photographs of both Bridegroom / Bride.
How long does it take to receive a Marriage Certificate?
Marriage Registration certificate is issued within 7 days. You should be getting a response within 15 days in case of registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act and 60 days under Special Marriage Act.
How do you get a Duplicate Marriage Certificate?
- You won't get Duplicate Marriage Certificate but will be able to get certified copy of the copy of the original which is in the record of the Marriage officer/registrar.
- Now you may call it duplicate or not it hardly matters but its validity for any & all purpose is same as the original certificate.
- The words duplicate may not appear on the top of the marriage certificate now issued to you but it will be confirmed & certified as true copy of the original