• Bribe Fighter
  • 6 years ago

I refused to pay a bribe and the officer changed my name in the property tax portal

Reported on September 28, 2018 from Bangalore , Karnataka  ι Report #189943

I had gone to BBMP ward 57 to pay my property tax in 2015 and the officer asked me for a bribe of Rs.1000. I refused and although at that time I was feeling victorious, a couple of months later I realised he had changed my name on the online portal to "Dishoner cheque" Now my name/property owners name is changed and I am unable to pay my property tax since 3 years. I have done multiple rounds and requested them to change the name he will ask me to come back after a month or make some excuse or the other saying the particular officer who can make the change is not around and thereby making it impossible for me to pay the tax. I have tried everything - calling their helpline to change the name and logging an online complaint etc but nothing seems to work.
I realise I am being harrassed due to that one refusal to pay the bribe. I have lost count of the number of times I have visited the BBMP ward between my work day. I seem to have hit a road block. can someone please help/suggest a solution

What is your reaction after reading this report?