How to register a new vehicle in Karnataka

Name should not be empty

A primer to getting your new vehicle registered.


Temporary registration


1. A new car can be registered temporarily under the KMV/ CMV Act, from the road transport authority.

2. One needs to submit a duly filled application form KMV 18 along with the Sale Certificate in CMV 21 and an Insurance Certificate.

3. On submission of the above, a temporary registration can be issued.


Permanent registration


1. Fill in the application form - CMV 20.

2. The duly filled application form along with the applicable documents should be submitted to the registering authority.

3. The concerned vehicle also needs to be produced before the registering authority for inspection.

4. If the vehicle complies with all the requirements of the Motor Vehicles Act and rules made thereunder, the registration of the vehicle will be undertaken on the same day.

5. The Registration Certificate will be delivered after two days between 4.30 pm and 5.30 pm.


Documentation required:


For temporary registration

1. Duly filled application form KMV 18

2. Sale certificate in CMV 21

3. Insurance certificate


For permanent registration

1. Duly filled application form CMV 20 ( To be made in duplicate if the vehicle is covered with Hypothecation/ Lease/ Hire purchase agreement duly obtaining the signature of the financier)


2. Sale certificate in form CMV 21


3. Valid insurance certificate


4. Proof of address: (To produce any one of the following)

  • Ration Card
  • Passport
  • LIC Policy
  • Electoral Roll
  • Telephone Bill
  • Electricity Bill
  • Water Bill
  • Caste Certificate (SC/ST, Backward Class and Minorities, etc.) and Income Certificate issued by Tahsildar.
  • Pay slip issued by any office of the Central Government or a State Government or a Local body.
  • Self-swearing affidavit by an applicant before an executive Magistrate or a First Class Judicial Magistrate or a Notary Public as evidence of age and address.
  • Proof of legal presence in India in addition to proof of residence in case of foreigners.

5.  Temporary Registration issued by the Registering Authority if any or Trade Certificate issued by the Dealer.


6. Road Worthiness Certificate in form CMV22.


7. Form CMV22A issued by Body Builders (EX. Goods vehicle, bus etc.)


8. Customs clearance certificate in case of imported vehicle with licence and bond if any.


9. Prescribed Registration fee to be paid at the  R.T.O Counter/Treasury.


10. Tax payable after assessment (depending upon the category of vehicle).


11. Fees for Fitness Certificate in case of transport vehicle.


12. Hypothecation/Lease/HPA entry fee (if applicable).


13. Income Tax PAN (zerox copy) or Form 60 or Form no. 61 (in case of Agriculturist).


14. Bonafide agriculture certificate issued by the Tahsildar in case of registration of tractor-trailor unit used for agriculture. In case of trailor or a semi-trailor, design approval proceedings issued by Commissioner for Transport need to be produced.


15. Permit proceedings to be attached in case of a transport vehicle.


16. Advance Registration allotment letter if any to be enclosed with fees paid proof.


17. Three passport size photographs of the applicant.


Department /Organisation: Transport department, Government of Karnataka


Contact person: CONCERNED P.R.O


Phone :  EPABX: 080-22355802 / 080-22353785


Location: RTO Offices in Bangalore


Public Relations Officer, Office of the Commissioner for Transport, 5th floor, M.S.Building, Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Veedhi, Bangalore - 560 001




Website: Karnataka Transport Department


Do remember:


The temporary registration certificate that is issued in KMV 19  is valid for a period not exceeding one month, unless extended under the proviso to sub-section (2) of section 43 of the Act.


Related information:



Transport Department, Government of Karnataka



Application form CMV 20

Application form CMV 21

Application form CMV 22

Application form CMV 22 A

The Motor Vehicle’s Act, 1988

Disclaimer : This information is subject to periodic government policy / process change. Kindly contact the concerned department to crosscheck for recent updates, if any.



What's your reaction?
Helpful - 4
Not helpful - 2
Need more detail - 0
Name should not be empty